You may require a permit to enter an HRC, for instance if you drive a commercial vehicle or if you're towing a trailer. Please read the information underneath before applying, to check whether you need one.
Information for trailers
Trailers with a load area of over 2.4m long internally or 3m² (towed by any compliant vehicle) can only be used to deposit compostable garden waste between 9am and 11am, Monday to Friday. They can't be used to transport any other waste to the recycling centre. Trailers which are deemed too large by site attendants on the grounds of safety may still be turned away irrespective of the possession of a permit.
Vehicles allowed on site without a permit
- Cars (including estates and people carriers)
- Without trailer
- With trailer no larger than 1.2m by 0.9m internally at Shropshire HRCs only. (If you wish to use an HRC in Telford you'll need a permit for any trailer, irrespective of size)
- Without a goods/pick-up body and with seats and windows in the rear
- Camper vans and minibuses
- Less than 5m long or 2.1m high and with seats and fittings not removed
Vehicles allowed on site with a permit
- Cars (including estates and people carriers) with trailer
- Between 1.2m and 2.4m long internally
- Over 2.4m - (see 'Information for trailers' above)
- With a goods/pick-up body or without seats and windows in the rear
- Camper vans and minibuses
- Less than 5m long or 2.1m high with seats and fittings removed
- Commercial vehicles
- Less than 5m long and 2.1m high that are owned by the resident
- Commercial-type vehicles on hire, less than 5m long and 2.1m high
Vehicles not allowed on site
- Any vehicle over 5m long
- Any vehicle over 2.1m high
- Agricultural vehicles
- Flatbed and pick-up trucks
- Horse box vehicles
- Luton box vans
- Pick up vehicles (except 4x4s)
- Tipper vehicles
- Stock trailers (eg horse box trailer)
Please note that whilst Shropshire Council residents can apply for permits to use HRCs in both the Shropshire Council and Telford and Wrekin Council authority areas, you must apply to the council that you pay your council tax to for it to be processed. Applications received by Shropshire Council from residents who pay council tax to Telford and Wrekin Council will not be processed, and vice versa.
If you live outside of either of the above authority areas you're unable to apply to either authority for permits to use the HRCs in these areas.
Pay your council tax to Shropshire Council?
Apply here if you pay your council tax to Shropshire Council (online registration required)
Pay your council tax to Telford and Wrekin Council?
Apply here if you pay your council tax to Telford and Wrekin Council (T&W permits are not able to be used at Shropshire Council sites)